Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Welcome

The photos on this blog are primarily taken in New York City, primarily Manhattan and Queens, with occasional photos from my vacations elsewhere.

I am a midle-aged public librarian and part-time writer who loves to blog and fiddle with templates. In addition, I've gotten hooked by making graphics in Photoshop, mostly with my photos as a starting point.

I also do craftwork, mainly decoupage, collect dollhouse miniatures, and, of course, take photos I enjoy sharing. I occasionally post my photos on some of my other blogs, as appropriate.

The Guide to My Blogs is a good place to start if you'd like to see what else I do, from reviewing books and comic books to posting occasional links about Mars. I'm a big science fiction fan, but enjoy suspense novels and literary fiction, as well as some mysteries and historical novels. I love comedy and I'm an action/adventure fan. My favorite TV show, if I can bring myself to actually name a favorite, is The Man from UNCLE. My interests are varied, however, so with luck, you'll find something enjoyable on one of my many blogs.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, i first of all would like to say, i love your photography, it's absolutely beautiful. Great blog, love how it is set up. I found it by searching the help. I also have a question, how do edit your nav bar to show links? I am very confused with how to properly edit my template so that I can have links to my other blogs on the main page. My blog is http://vitamingirlshop.blogspot.com, Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nichole. First, thanks. I appreciate the comments.

    Second, Blogger uses navbar to refer to its navbar at the top of the blog, which they let you change the color of but nothing else. So, I assume you mean the list of links under my header?

    You can add links using a links element in the sidebar. If you want them at the top, you need to fiddle a bit. I went to see your blog, and you do have links under your header. I did look at your blog's code, which you can do in any browser using View from the top menu, then choose Reveal Source. The links you have have br codes at the end of each, which is like hitting enter. It moves the next line down a space.

    There are 2 ways I know to do the nav links the way I have mine under the header here. The first, before I knew how to do the second, is to hard code it into the html/body part of your template. If you're using Blogger's page elements, you can code them into the area under the element for the header. The html for links starts with href=. You can Google for info on how to code if you don't know it.

    The second way is to create a page element for the navbar. You'd need to expand the widgets or elements in the html of your template. Find where it says:
    b:section class='header' id='header' maxwidgets='1' showaddelement='no'

    Change it to:
    b:section class='header' id='header' maxwidgets='3' showaddelement='yes'

    You can make maxwidgets= any number you'd like, but 3 usually is enough. It gives you the header and you can then add an element or as they now call it, a gadget for the navbar. If you use a gadget for links, it'll list them, which you don't want, so you'd add an html gadget and then have to code it yourself, but you can then have them all in a row.

    The difference in the second is that it's all done in a gadget and you can add more for other things, like quotes or such, at the top of your blog without having to keep finding the right place inside the body of the template.

    Hope that helps/is what you're looking for.

    BTW, the header image on your blog is too wide for the border and goes off the screen to the right, and I'm using a widescreen monitor.

    I have more info on using Blogger over on http://anothershellyblog.blogspot.com

    Feel free to ask more questions, but please do it over there, so I can answer with a post if the answer gets too long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I loved your photography, it's absolutely beautiful. You have huge info on photography, i love photography, Its a Great blog, would say i liked how it is set up. Great work !! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathy. :)

    ReplyDelete