Monday, May 15, 2017

Just My Type

14Feb2007 002
SHELLY in Wood Type Blocks
14Feb2007 003
SHELLY with Star in Metal Type
We took a car trip for a week each summer, starting when I was 12 or so, continuing until I was around 16 or 17. More than once, we drove up to Vermont. My father had an eye for historical markers, so we stopped often at the side of the road, and there were plenty of covered bridges to see in Vermont. But one of my favorite things to do was to shop in the gift shops and general stores, not to mention, local food places. In one large general store/gift shop, I was thrilled to find printers' boxes and old type. I put together my name in different fonts from the wood type and then for the metal type, and they remain my favorite souvenirs of all the trips I've taken. These days, you can get a similar effect with rubber stamp letters.

I love type. I once had a job typing bills for a typography company and spent time talking to the typesetters. Things were automated by then, and these days, I collect fonts on my computer. My fascination for type hasn't wavered.

Find my photos on flickr.
Shelly's Photos on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment